Welcome to The Great American Meatout, the world's largest annual grassroots diet education campaign!
National and local media have been very supportive of Meatout since it was launched in 1985.
- News editors and anchors have reported on local educational events and interviewed national and local organizers.
- Lifestyle editors and talk shows have featured interviews with Meatout celebrities and organizers.
- Food editors have run delightful meatless recipes and stories on the growing popularity of ready-to-eat meatless foods.
- Letters editors have published hundreds of letters from local activists.
- Magazines, billboard companies, and transportation systems have generously donated space to carry the Meatout message to millions.
Recent times have seen some startling developments in national dietary trends:
- Obesity is surpassing smoking as top a national health threat.
- The vegan food market has been growing dramatically.
- Reports of meat consumers infected by the deadly E. coli strain continue to accumulate.
- A survey found that 1 in 4 college students wants vegan meals on campus.
- Fast food establishments are offering veggie burgers and leaner menus.
- Major food manufacturers have been marketing more alternativess to meat and dairy.
- Major supermarkets have been offering more alternatives to meat and dairy.
- Several states have been recommending a vegetarian school lunch option.
These developments have contributed to Meatout's ever-growing success!
Michael A. Webermann
For the press release template click here (.doc file).